Instagram

Monday, December 1, 2014

Where it all began.

A few months ago, I made a pretty comprehensive list of all the things I like and do not like. Included in the "things I like" list were things like "people that think I'm funny" and "doing things efficiently" along with "feeling validated" and "speaking Spanish." Although there are a lot of random things on that list, there are definitely a few themes that goes along with my feelings of happiness. Exercise and eating well, connecting with other people, and learning new things in order to be able to share them with other people are all strong themes in the long, bullet-pointed list of what Gillian finds enjoyable.

These bits and bobs about myself now discovered, the issue then becomes what to do with that knowledge.

This story begins like many others. Seven years ago, I was fat.
Me circa 2006 (I'm front and center with the giant soda)- 153 lbs
It affected my whole life- I ate miserably, I drank too much, I smoked, my self esteem was pretty much non-existent... and I had no clue what I was doing to myself. No joke- It wasn't until I realized that the guy I had been dating was very much interested in overweight women that I gave much thought to changing my lifestyle. I ditched the guy, and started attending a bootcamp class twice a week. A twelve week session, a few burritos switched out for salads, and 25 lbs later I was completely hooked.

See, the key here isn't to make drastic life changes that completely uproot you from you social circles, alienate you from Saturday nights out, and make you wave goodbye to cake forever. The key is finding something you are ok with  (maybe even something you like!) and stick with it. Set yourself a goal- whether its 3 days a week at a class you like, 5 miles a week running, or even just 20 minutes a day walking around your neighborhood- this stuff really does add up. Then, when you start feeling like you really got this, up your goals. Maybe join a new gym, try a new fitness class, try inviting friends over for a healthy, home cooked meal instead of going out for dinner.
Halloween circa 2014- Me at 120-ish (I don't actually weigh myself anymore)
Also I'm dressed as Keith Richards- yes.. I am awesome. 

Why do I love living a (somewhat) healthy lifestyle? Well, it started with 25 lbs. New jeans. Feeling prettier. Now, its knowing when I go to the gym I get to see all my friends. That I'm going to be able to lift heavier, run faster than I did before. That I'm going to leave, drenched in sweat, and go home to eat a delicious meal that nourishes my body. But all of that… it took a lot of learning, some trial and error, and some days where I just said fuck it and ate a giant cookie in my pjs.

This blog isn't going to tell you exactly how to live your life. It's not going to help you look like a bodybuilder or have 7% body fat (to be honest most of 'those people' have way more issues with food than we normals do). It probable won't help you find a boyfriend or even get laid. But it might. So read on.. at least I'll try to make you laugh every once in a while.






No comments:

Post a Comment